Friday, January 18, 2008

Toilet Time

What do you do when you have a 3 year old who is becoming more independent, thankfully, going to the bathroom alone, but have a 1 year old that thinks the toilet is just a fun splash pool? Arg! This is a favorite thing for all babies right? For a while I just always made sure that the lid was down, training Tyler and Jeff to do this took some time, but now Dylan has figured that out. So just train them to shut the bathroom door? Right. Easier said than done with a 3 year old. He is so good at going all by himself and not screaming for help anymore and I know that I don't have to check on him. The problem is Dylan has this sense that he knows when you are heading for the bathroom and Tyler is a much better target to forget about the lid down and dragging Dylan out to shut the door so he can't have so much joy in splashing around and throwing things in... It is actually almost funny how much he enjoys it. If it weren't gross and I didn't have to stop it immediately I would probably take video of him smiling and giggling away splashing my, now old, hair brush around in the two inches of water. Hopefully this is a faze, something I never had to do with Tyler cause the door was shut all the times, but it is killing me. Also, he is getting fast. "Tyler, where is Dylan? Did you shut the bathroom door?" Running.... "Dylan NOOOOO!" Favorite roller clips all dumped in, now boiling to sanitize. Oh, and can I say how much I hate reaching my hand in the toilet to fish things out, even when I know that I just cleaned it. Still yucky. Maybe I just need to teach him that if you put it in there you have to take it out. :) Yeah right. Sad sad times.

5 comments:

Julie said...

I am on the floor laughing. Luckily Ethan only put his hands in a few times, I will keep you posted on Oliver. I agree though, make him fish it out.

Haynes Family said...

That is so funny cause its true. We are experiencing the same thing with Avery. If that door is not shut she is trying to dunk herself in. YUCK! It makes me all queasy just thinking about having to fish stuff out.

Tara and Orlando said...

That is so funny. For now, Dallin just wants to crawl up next to it and dig through the garbage. Yuck! I hope he never wants to play in the toilet. Ikk!
Good luck.

Graham said...

Charlotte is doing the same thing. Luckily Emma is 5 and most times remembers to shut the door as Charlotte will also lift the lid. All I can say is hand sanitizer, hand sanitizer.

Jon and Christine Knecht said...

Every last one of my kiddos did the same thing. In fact, Elena would follow them to the bathroom and while they were perched on the front of the seat, she would stick her hand into the back of the toilet and splash in the water they JUST peed in!!! It would make me gag and she would get a complete bath for making me sick so she quit pretty soon after she started. :)