Monday, September 8, 2008

Dylan + Dentist = One less tooth

Okay. I am finally ready to talk about it. I don't know how many of you remember that about 6 months ago Dylan broke one of his top front teeth because we are bad parents. The dentist was able to do a small root canal and then put a cap/crown on it and you haven't been able to tell since. Well, until now... This is a picture of his fully toothed mouth from just weeks ago. (I am seriously holding back the tears right now so thank goodness you are not reading this in real time.) Anyway... what happened? Well, here is the full tooth out of his mouth. That is right, they had to pull it. We were once again bad parents and he pulled a glass off of the counter and it hit his face/mouth and broke the cap off. When we took him to the dentist we had high hopes that they would just be able to put another cap on, but upon further examination the tooth had suffered more damaged and cracked up the middle. There was nothing they could do. (Crying again) If they didn't pull it, it would eventually abscess and he would be in a lot of pain and they would pull it anyway, so they just did it right then. He was so brave and Jeff stayed with him while Tyler and I went to the other room. This is how he looked on the ride home. A little swollen and bloody but he fell asleep anyway with the gross gauze hanging out of his mouth. It has been a week and I have been trying to get a good picture of it but this is the best I have gotten. This whole thing has broken my heart, and every time he smiles at me with his toothless smile I ache all over. (still crying) I know, I really need to get over it since a new tooth won't come in for years, the dentist said most kids don't get those teeth till they are 7, and he is not even two, but I miss it. I got him a haircut thinking that might help me and it hasn't. Still toothless. The only good thing was that I got his and Tyler's pictures taken just days before the incident and they turned out great with two beautiful front teeth. I know it will stop hurting eventually (for me) he is already over it, but for now the only thing that brings me comfort is that I got my first front tooth when I was 5, so maybe he will inherit those genes and a new tooth will come in sooner than later. Well, enough of my pouting, just wondering... When did you get your first tooth?

8 comments:

wendy_d23 said...

I know tons of kids who got their teeth at 5. I think he looks cute, it really just makes him look older! In a few months, you won't even notice. Like having a big gap in your teeth. I would know!

Mindy said...

I'm crying right along with you, Rushell!

Mona said...

All I can say is that is the CUTEST little pirate I have ever seen!! He is still adorable and who can brag that they lost their first tooth at 21 months? Not many!
I had lost most of my teeth before I was 7.. hence the huge need for braces, they all came in crooked because there weren't any other teeth to compete with. I could have used dentures for a few months... anyway, enough about me. Dylan is cute and he seems to like it. MAybe he can use it to his advantage and learn to spit water at Tyler!

Unknown said...

What an adorable toothless face! GG wishes should could give him all the kisses. I guarantee you worse things will happen. (That's the way life is) You are a fabulous mother. Don't ever doubt that fact. Let Dilan know that GG can spit with the best of them so I would look forward to participating in the contest with Mona! Love you guys!

Graham said...

Okay, so I had to go back six months in your blog to figure out how he messed up his tooth the first time. I couldn't remember. I don't think you can attribute either incidence to bad parenting. Kids will be kids, they are going to fall in the bath tub and pull things off of the counter. None of this is your fault. :)

I always more sensitive when I am pregnant and maybe that is the case with you. I'm with everybody else though. He is still a cutie and lots of kids in Emma's kindergarten class were loosing their teeth way before her (5 almost 6) so i think there is hope.

Anonymous said...

I think it makes him look like a normal little boy - adds to the cuteness factor. They're both still adorable!
I knocked my two front teeth out (actually broke one off and loosened the other, it fell out a couple of days later) when I was about 5 and my permanent ones didn't come in for almost 2 years - "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" was my theme song.

Tara and Orlando said...

Here's a little reassurance...
Missy's daughter fell down the stairs to the treehouse about a month ago and lost all FOUR bottom teeth. The dentist told them and often when there isn't a tooth stopping the permanent tooth from coming up, it will come up faster.

Also, at the reunion picnic Scott and Rachael Miller's son was missing one of his top teeth. They said he just thought it made him look tough and cool, so their kid liked it. (I think he's around 3.)

I'm sure it will be fine, and no one thinks you are a bad mother, you are one to look up to.

creative kate said...

our little man pulled a jar candle down off a shelf at costco,hitting him in the mouth and making blood gush and so i too have joined the bad mother club. funny enough he didn't lose his teeth until months later when he tripped over his own foot and his costco's cement floor!
(i found your blog and my sister in laws...carmen)