Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Yes! He has a Name!

This is Kyle Alan Megerle. Sorry it has take me so long to let you know. We have had a busy week and things are just finally starting to get back to a routine. Here is a quick run down. Kyle was born at 12:35am on Tuesday morning. We were in the hospital until Thursday. We probably could have left Wednesday, but the pediatrician and I decide that we should stay till Thursday to check his bilirubin level a complete 48 hours plus before we left. Why is this a worry you may ask? Well, Tyler and Dylan both had very high levels of jaundice and needed light treatments that we just did at home so we just wanted to be extra cautious. Anyway they tested him on Thursday before we left and it was only at 10.5 so we went home happily. On Friday we went back to the pediatrician for a check up and I knew before we even went that his bili level was up. His skin, eyes, and even gums were very yellow and I know newborns are sleepy but he was even more sleepy than normal, not waking up to eat. So, they tested him again and called us later to tell us that we needed to readmit him to the hospital because his level came back at a 21. Anything over 20 is a trip back to the hospital. Our other two only ever got up to 19 and 18 so we were very surprised. Needless to say, I cried all the way to Dell Children's Hospital. Partially because it is scary to take your new baby back to the hospital, and partially because I felt my other kids needed me home with them after being gone from them for most of the week. Thankfully we were only in the hospital for less than 24 hours. After hours of light therapy, only coming out of the incubator to eat and get a diaper change, his level dropped to below 15 which was low enough for us to go home. Finally home on Saturday we were all very tired and went to bed early. Dylan was coughing alot and seemed a bit grouchy but we were hoping he just needed some sleep. Unfortunately he woke up Sunday morning with a 102 fever, wouldn't eat, and wouldn't even move from were we set him unless we moved him. He got a good dose of Tylenol every 4 hours and lots of water and by Monday morning was starting to get back to his normal self. He is still a bit grouchy and crusty around the nose, but definitely on his way back to our happy Dylan. Luckily the rest of us seem to be okay, we have been washing our hands like crazy and monitoring all cups and sippy to avoid sharing germs. The hardest thing has been when he wants to hold or see "it" (baby Kyle) and trying not to have him breathe directly on him. He and Tyler have been great though, good big brothers that want to help out and hold him all the time and are always very worried where he is and is he sleeping and why does he do this and that. Jeff and I are adjusting to life with 3. Word is that 3 is the hardest and I think signs of that are already proving true. I think at any given time, someone isn't happy about something and on the verge of tears, me included, but we are working through it. We really are just so happy he is finally here and feel so blessed to have him in our lives. I love being a mother even though it is hard sometimes not to lose it, but I am trying harder to remember how precious every moment, even the hard ones, are with them. I love my boys!

Also a quick shout out to Grandma Megerle. Thank you so much for coming and taking care of us. We loved and appreciated having you down here to stay with the boys. We love you!

6 comments:

Zarsky Family said...

I am so glad that everyone is healthy (mostly) and that you're getting into the groove! We can't wait to see Kyle! I guess Jeff is still looking for the other "J" in "J&J." :)

wendy_d23 said...

I love the name, I swear I was going to suggest Kyle, I like the Y's in all the names. He is such a little cutie! I actually heard the 3rd is the easiest, so who knows. I am hope you are all home from the hospital to stay for good! I wish I could help you, I can't imaging trying to squeeze in a nap with 3 boys! Is Sis. D coming out soon?

Saine said...

I am glad that everything is getting back to normal and that everybody is healthy. I wish you the best as you try to rest with three little boys.

Tara and Orlando said...

Yeah! I love the name Kyle! I think your family is just SO adorable! I'm so sorry you had to take him to the hospital. I think I would have cried too, for both the reasons you said. But everyone is happy and healthy. :) When are your plans on coming out West next?

The Jensen Family said...

So glad to hear you finally picked a name and that things are starting to settle down for you. I have also heared the 3rd is the hardest, especially with boys, so let me know how it goes.
I am glad Kyle didn't have to stay in the hospital long, but I must say I love the pictures of him in the incubator under the lights. It brought back memories of my Clark doing the same thing. Did you keep his "googles"?

Melinda said...

Hooray for Kyle! That is a great name!!! Glad that he is back home and you can settle in more- and hopefully get lots and lots of rest! :)