Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bikers

This past weekend the ROT (Republic of Texas) Motorcycle Rally was here in Austin. Of course we had to go check it out like we do every year. First we met up with some friends to all ride down town together. There were over twenty of us, so that was cool. It is fun (and safer) to ride in a big group like that. People stare and kids wave, kind of like a parade, and since we are parade people, we love it.
This is our group getting ready to ride downtown. They all started the bikes at the same time which I am sure the neighbors appreciated.
The city shuts down Congress Ave on Friday night, from the bridge all the way up to the Capital building (about 11 blocks). We got there in time for the real parade of bikes to roll in. They drive down the street and back and then park in the middle of the road. There are thousands of bikes. The parade itself takes over an hour to get everyone parked. We have ridden in the parade in the past, but for the past two years have just gone down to watch it roll in. It is just so hot. This last Friday it was pushing 100, and with the heat of the bikes a white girl like me just can't take it. Here are the bikes coming in. Thousands end up parking and filling the whole 11 blocks up to the capital. That doesn't even include all the bikes like ours that are parked on the side streets and just came to watch.
Here is Jeff among his biker people and bikes on Congress.
A picture of us. Sorry it is blurry, that is what happens I am not sure the person taking the picture has used a digital camera before. Notice my nice hair even after a humid sweaty night of riding and a helmet. I think the key is flat ironing it, a low pony tail under the helmet and then of course the stashed brush in the bike.
Jeff took the kids for a ride around the block on Saturday. They love it and I hold my breath the whole time they are gone. I just can't take it.
Then Jeff went for a ride with the guys. It was 100 degrees and sadly I had to stay home with the kids with my feet in the pool and watching movies in the air conditioning.
How do I handle him riding? It's called LIFE INSURANCE!

5 comments:

Melinda said...

That is so awesome!!! I (and my sibs) used to ride on the back of my dad's bike when we were kids. I have lots of fun memories of my dad picking me up from school and friends' houses. :)

Cervantes Family said...

Rushell, that is so crazy! The biker life is interesting and looks fun.

Pikula's said...

FUn!!! I am sure the kids really love it!

Sparkle Mama said...

Y'all are brave, brave, brave! You live on the edge...on the wild side! Rev your engines!

Mona said...

You look really good in that picture! Someday Ben hopes to join your biker life. He thinks I will too, but I won't. Ya'll can enjoy it for me!